Policy documents, legislation and research relevant to RELATIONSHIPS and sexuality education.
ABORIGINAL AND TORRES STRAIT ISLANDER YOUNG PEOPLE
- Ward, J., Bryant, J., Wand, H., Pitts, M., Smith, A., Delaney-Thiele, D., Worth, H. & Kaldor, J. Results of the First Australian study of knowledge, risk practices and health service access for Sexually Transmissible Infections (STIs) and Blood Borne Viruses (BBVs) among young Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. Baker IDI, Central Australia, Alice Springs.
ADOLESCENT SEXUAL BEHAVIOUR
- Mitchell A, Patrick K, Heywood W, Blackman P, Pitts M. (2014). 5th National Survey of Australian Secondary Students and Sexual Health 2013, (PDF) (ARCSHS Monograph Series No. 97), Australian Research Centre in Sex, Health and Society, La Trobe University, Melbourne, Australia.
DEVELOPING ETHICAL SEXUAL LIVES
- Carmody, M (2013). Young men, sexual ethics and sexual negotiation: Sociological Research Online (PDF 971kb)
- Carmody, M., & Ovenden, G. (2013). Putting ethical sex into practice: sexual negotiation, gender and citizenship in the lives of young women and men; Journal of Youth Studies, UK (PDF)
PEOPLE WITH A DISABILITY
Department of Health and Human Services (2006) Personal relationships, sexuality and sexual health policy and guidelines, 2006, Disability Services, Victorian Government Department of Health and Human Services (Policy outlining the rights and responsibilities of people with a disability and disability support providers in regard to personal relationships, sexuality and sexual health – including advice on the provision of sex education).
Wilson,N.J. & Frawley, P. Supporting the socio-sexual needs of young men and women with intellectual disability, University Of Western Sydney and La Trobe University. PDF.
RESPECTFUL RELATIONSHIPS EDUCATION
- Gleeson, C., Kearney, S., Leung, L. & Brisbane, J. (2015) Respectful Relationships Education in Schools. Retrieved from http://www.ourwatch.org.au/getmedia/4a61e08b-c958-40bc-8e02-30fde5f66a25/Evidence-paper-respectful-relationships-education-AA-updated.pdf.aspx
- Flood, M., Fergus, L. & Heenan,M. (2009) Respectful Relationships Education: Violence prevention and respectful relationships education in Victorian secondary schools, Department of Education and Early Childhood Development, Melbourne.
SCHOOL BASED SEXUALITY AND RELATIONSHIPS EDUCATION
- Smith, A., Schlichthorst, M., Mitchell, A., Walsh, J., Lyons, A., Blackman, P. & Pitts, M (2011) The First National Survey of Secondary Teachers of Sexuality Education, (PDF), Australian Research Centre in Sex, Health and Society, La Trobe University, Melbourne, Australia.
- UNESCO (2009) International guidelines on sexuality education; an evidence informed approach to effective sex, relationships and HIV/STI education. Paris: UNESCO. http:// unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0018/001832/183281e.pdf
- Walsh, J (2012) Worried about the sexualisation of children? Teach sex ed earlier, The Conversation, 26 October 2012, Retrieved 10 Feb 2016. https://theconversation.com/worried-about-the-sexualisation-of-children-teach-sex-ed-earlier-10311
- Sex Education Forum, (2015) Sex and Relationships Education - The Evidence, UK.
- Guttmacher Institute (2007) Review of Key Findings of “Emerging Answers 2007” Report on Sex Education Programs, Guttmacher Institute.
SCHOOL-BASED SEXUAL ABUSE PREVENTION EDUCATION
- Scholes, L., Jones, C., Stieler-Hunt, C., Rolfe, B., & Pozzebon, K. (2012). The Teachers’ Role in Child Sexual Abuse Prevention Programs: Implications for Teacher Education.. Australian Journal of Teacher Education, 37(11).
- Walsh, K., M, Berthelsen, D.C., Brandon, L., & Nicholson, J (2012) Making prevention matter : a survey of child sexual abuse prevention programs in Australia (PPT). In, 2012 Protective Behaviours Australia National Conference, 20-21 July 2012, Hotel Grand Chancellor, Brisbane.
- Walsh K, Zwi K, Woolfenden S, Shlonsky A. (2015) School-based education programmes for the prevention of child sexual abuse. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2015, Issue 4. Art. No.: CD004380. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD004380.pub3.
Wurtele SK (2009) Preventing Sexual Abuse Of Children In The Twenty-First Century: Preparing For Challenges And Opportunities. Journal of Child Sexual Abuse, Vol 18, Issue 1, 2009 .
- The Royal Commission into Child Sexual Abuse is undertaking a comprehensive research program to support its work. One of its research themes is prevention, including an audit of school-based child sexual abuse prevention policy and curriculum relative to the current international evidence base. The project will provide an audit tool to assess state and territory child sexual abuse prevention content provision in government and Catholic school policy and curriculum. Carried out by the Conducted by Queensland University of Technology. The Commission has completed one review of the evidence on child sexual abuse prevention programs conducted in pre-schools.
Albury, K, Crawford, K., Byron, P & Mathews, B. (2013) Young people and sexting in Australia: ethics, representation and the law, final report. ARC Centre for Creative Industries and Innovation/ Journalism and Media Research Centre, University of New South Wales, Australia.
Albury, K. & Crawford, K. (2012) Sexting, consent and young people’s ethics: Beyond Megan’s Story, Continuum: Journal of Media & Cultural Studies, Vol. 26, No. 3, June 2012, 463 473
SEXUAL ASSAULT PREVENTION EDUCATION
- Evans, S, Krogh C, Carmody, M (2009) 'Time to get cracking: the challenge of developing best practice in Australian sexual assault prevention education' Refereed Issues Paper No 10 for the Australian Centre for Study of Sexual Assault on Issues Paper 11, Australian Institute of Family Studies, Melbourne
- Carmody, M; Evans, S; Krogh, C; Flood, M; Heenan, M; & Ovenden, G (2009) Framing best practice: National Standards for the primary prevention of sexual assault through education, National Sexual Assault Prevention Education Research Project for NASASV, University of Western Sydney ISBN 978-1-74108-197-8
SEXUAL AND GENDER DIVERSITY
- Hillier, L., Jones, T., Monagle, M., Overton, N., Gahan, L., Blackman, P. & Mitchell, A. (2010) Writing Themselves In 3: The third national study on the sexual health and wellbeing of same sex attracted and gender questioning young people’. Australian Research Centre in Sex, Health and Society, La Trobe University, Melbourne, Australia.
- Smith, E., Jones, T., Ward, R., Dixon, J., Mitchell, A. & Hillier, L. (2014) From blues to rainbows: The mental health and well-being of gender diverse and transgender young people in Australia, Melbourne.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (2013), 'Number of teenage mothers lowest in a decade', Births, Australia, 2012
- Trivedi, D and others (2007) Update on Review of Reviews on Teenage Pregnancy and Parenthood. Submitted as an addendum to the first evidence briefing 2003. Hertfordshire: Centre for Research in Primary and Community Care, University of Hertfordshire, on behalf of NICE.